- This event has passed.
HSNC Virtual Meeting, Fall 2020
October 16 @ 3:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The first-ever virtual meeting of the Historical Society of North Carolina will take place Friday, October 16, 2020 online via the Zoom meeting platform. For admission to the meeting, HSNC members please register in advance at the following link:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
3:30: Gather online in Zoom!
4:00 – 5:30 PM: Panel: “Answering the Call for Truth-telling in Public History”
All of the following individuals are staff with the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
Moderator: Joe Beatty, Research Supervisor, Office of Archives and History
- Kevin Cherry, Deputy Secretary and Director of Archives and History (monuments)
- Ansley Herring Wegner, Administrator of the NC Highway Historical Marker Program (historical markers)
- Michelle Lanier, Director, North Carolina Division of State Historic Sites and Properties (historic sites)
5:30 – 6:00 PM: Business Meeting
- Approval of Minutes
- Financial Report
- Nominating Committee Report
- Lefler Award Committee Report
- Report from Committee on Use of H.G. Jones Bequest
6:00 – 7:00 PM: Break/Dinner [either stay logged into Zoom or re-join the meeting just before 7:00 pm]
7:00 – 8:30 PM: Evening Program
- Recognition of the recipient of the Lefler Award for 2020
- Memoirs for Drs. George W. Troxler, Wade Dudley, and Curtis Wood
- Presidential Address by President Dan Pierce, “Memorializing Black Lives, Work, and Sacrifice: The Movement to Build a Memorial to the Builders of the Railroad into Western North Carolina”