To the best of our knowledge this will be our first meeting in Fayetteville, and we are elated with the opportunity to meet in this historic city and at this HBCU. Our meeting and dinner will be in the J.C. Jones Board Room on the second floor of the Charles W. Chestnutt Library. The reception will be in the small area at the entrance to the board room. Our program theme at this meeting is two-fold: World War II and the Sesquicentennial of Fayetteville State University (1867-2017).
Our schedule for the meeting is as follows (times may vary slightly):
2-3 PM: Council Meeting
3-3:45: Social Time
- Jo Ann Williford, NC Office of Archives and History, “Get ‘em Tapping: Teaching World War with Music”
- Dr. Kelli Walsh, Fayetteville State University, “Some History of Fayetteville State University”
- Memoir for Dr. Elmer Puryear will be delivered by Dr. Lloyd Johnson of Campbell University
5:15- 6 PM: Business Meeting
Among the items of business will be a report from the Nominating Committee (Arwin Smallwood, Chair). The full membership in attendance will then vote on nominees.
6:30-7:15: Dinner (details provided below)
7:15-8 PM: Evening Program: Dr. Julian Pleasants, University of Florida, “It’s Our War, Too”: North Carolina Women and the War Effort, 1941-1945.
Meal, payment, and parking information
Meal: Our meal will be grilled lemon rosemary chicken, assorted vegetables, breads, cobbler and beverage. The cost of dinner and reception is $20.00 per person.
Checks for $20 may be made out to the Historical Society of NC and sent to our Treasurer Michael Hill no later than Wednesday, April 19. Mail checks to the following address:
NC Office of Archives and History
109 E. Jones Street
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4610
Parking Information and Permit: A separate mailing with the parking permit and map will be forthcoming to members. Parking will be in lots B, W and F with the emphasis on lot B since it is front of Chesnutt Library where we will be meeting.
Directions to Fayetteville State University: http://www.uncfsu.edu/our-campus/directions
Hostelries in the vicinity of the April Meeting
Below are links to information about several Fayetteville-area motels/hotels, with the best rate we could identify online for Friday night, April 21st. The rate does NOT include taxes. HSNC members who belong to AAA, AARP, hospitality awards programs, etc., should ask about special rates that may be better than what was found offered online. Note: all are a few miles from campus, just off major highways.
- Hilton Garden Inn Fayeteville/Fort Bragg – $123
- Holiday Inn Express Fayetteville – Ft. Bragg – $105
- Hampton Inn Fayetteville Fort Bragg – $84
- Affordable Suites Fayetteville – $79
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Fayetteville, NC – $159
- Courtyard Marriott Fayetteville – $121
- Wingate by Wyndham Fayetteville/Fort Bragg – $129